Friday, August 25, 2006

Small signs of hope in a country worn down by disillusionment

Friday, August 25, 2006
Cuba: Small signs of hope in a country worn down by disillusionment
By Manny Hidalgo

A recent trip to my parents' Cuban homeland confirmed my worst fears
that news of Fidel Castro's impending death has done nothing to lift the
spirits of people waiting for change on the island.

I arrived in Havana several days after Castro's secretary made the
shocking announcement that Castro was transferring power to his brother
Raul due to an operation to stop severe intestinal bleeding. In Miami,
the Aug. 7 news was greeted with several hundred people dancing in the
streets and around-the-clock predictions on Spanish-language radio about
how soon Raul would be toppled or if he was even still in the country.

Having studied and followed the Cuban situation for more than 12 years,
I was sure that Cubans on the island would not be reacting the way Miami
Cubans were. But the stark contrast on both sides of the Florida Straits
is a sad reminder of just how little we in the United States know about
Cuba and the life of an average Cuban citizen.

Every single person I spoke to in Cuba has tried at least once -- and
many two or three times --- to petition the U.S. government for a visa
to leave the island. Every single person I spoke to has a member of his
or her family living in the United States who sends remittances
regularly --- something Cubans depend on. Every single person I spoke to
has all but given up on the country and does not think that Fidel
Castro's departure would have much of an impact on the repressive
machinery and bureaucratic nightmare that has become the norm in Cuba.

This is disheartening for several reasons. For starters, the future of
the island is in the hands of Cuba's youth, 70 percent of whom were born
after the 1959 Revolution, and they are some of the most apathetic
people I met. Secondly, U.S. policy towards Cuba, which has become as
outdated and unimaginative as "El Comandante" himself, is based on an
erroneous notion that people on the island are just waiting for the
dictator to die so they can seize their destiny. From what I saw and
heard, nothing could be further from the truth.

Thirdly, the chances of another mass migration to the United States are
high given that people feel little hope for change on the island.
Lastly, I now have serious doubts that in my parents' lifetime we will
witness a free, democratic and prosperous island.

Ever since I first traveled to Cuba in 1994, I have dreamt of making the
journey with my parents and seeing the smiles on their faces as they
reconnect with their homeland. It is doubtful that this will ever
happen. Now I must strengthen my resolve to stay connected with the
island and teach my children all they need to know about abuelo and
abuela's heritage so that they may some day make this joyful journey
with me in honor of my parents.

One hopeful note is that, after years of repression, the Catholic Church
is growing stronger in Cuba. And the message the Church is delivering is
one of reconciliation and strengthening civil society as opposed to
seeking revenge. Cuban Americans have an important role to play in
strengthening the Cuban church.

While visiting a small town surrounding a sugar mill my great-great
aunts and uncle once owned, I attended Sunday Mass in a chapel that my
extended family re-built in the late 1990s. That project began after my
sister and I brought video footage back of the run-down chapel.

After seeing the church's dilapidated condition, my great uncle began
raising money from family members and friends. Within a few years he was
able to restore the church. He did this without stepping one foot on the
island, but thanks to telephones, emails, and my generation's
willingness to travel to the island we were able to make it happen.

Sitting in that chapel several Sundays ago, I could see how good it is
that the people of this village have a place to go where they can find
sanctuary from the disillusionment that has engulfed Cuba. This small
renovation project offers me a glimmer of hope that we can and must
continue to work for a peaceful transition to a free and democratic
Cuba, however long it takes.

Manny Hidalgo is executive director of the Latino Economic Development
Corporation in Washington, D.C. He holds a master's in Latin American
and Caribbean Studies from Florida International University.

http://www.the-tidings.com/2006/0825/cuba.htm

No comments: