Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Cuban dissident freed without charges after paying fine

Cuban dissident freed without charges after paying fine
Published November 27, 2012
EFE

Cuban dissident Antonio Gonzalez Rodiles was released without charges
after remaining in detention for 19 days at a Havana police station, he
told Efe.

"They let me go, there are no charges against me and they fined me 800
pesos ($32)," he said by telephone from his home in the capital.

The arrest of Gonzalez Rodiles, a 40-year-old physicist, occurred Nov. 7
when the activist went to a police station to inquire about the
detention of attorney Yaremis Flores, the legal counsel for an
opposition group.

At first Gonzalez Rodiles was accused of the crime of resisting
authority, but a week after his detention prosecutors changed his status
to preventive detention.

Before leaving the police station late Monday, he said, a State Security
official "showed me a document warning me about public disturbances, but
I said that everything in it was false and I refused to sign it."

"I'm free and we'll continue with the work we're doing, but this
experience shows me clearly that in Cuba there are two bands - one of
people who believe in dialogue and another bent on repression," he said.

Gonzalez Rodiles heads the State of SATS project that promotes the
exchange of ideas and public debate on the island's realities. EFE

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/11/27/cuban-dissident-freed-without-charges-after-paying-fine/

No comments: