Saturday, November 05, 2016

14ymedio Reporter Sol Basulto García Arrested In Camagüey

14ymedio Reporter Sol Basulto García Arrested In Camagüey / 14ymedio

14ymedio, Havana, 4 November 2016 – The reporter Sol García Basulto was
arrested by Cuban State Security Thursday night when she was traveling
to Havana. The correspondent for 14ymedio in Camagüey was intercepted on
the way to the capital by officers who handcuffed her and confiscated
her belongings. About two in the morning she was released, with a
warning that she cannot leave the province for 60 days.

The arrest occurred on the outskirts of the city, when the bus was
stopped at a checkpoint. Several police officers entered the bus,
handcuffed her and put her in a patrol car, taking her to a State
Security unit in the Montecarlo neighborhood.

"They never gave me an explanation of why I was being arrested," she
said, in a telephone call to the 14ymedio newsroom in Havana. "At the
unit I resisted giving them my belongings because they wanted to take my
cellphone and my documents."

"Six people seized me violently, five men and a woman, and took away
everything I had, except for my passport."

"I have to go every Wednesday to the State Security unit because I am
charged with disobedience," she detailed. If she does not appear, "a
retentive measure will be applied," she reported.

Basulto Garcia was heading to Havana to visit the newsroom of this
newspaper and to begin the paperwork to travel abroad. The reporter
would have gone to the Panama consulate on Friday to request a visa to
participate in a course on investigative journalism, at the invitation
of the Latin American Press Association.

A contributor to the magazine Hora de Cuba (Cuba's Hour), and a reporter
focused on cultural issues, García Basulto has been harassed in recent
months for her work as a freelance journalist. In February of this year
she was interrogated and threatened by the political police and told not
to continue her work.

"They don't like my work," the reporter wrote in an email previously
after suffering various pressures. "They warn me that I am constantly
watched and that I am in their hands," she said at that time.

Source: 14ymedio Reporter Sol Basulto García Arrested In Camagüey /
14ymedio – Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/14ymedio-reporter-sol-basulto-garcia-arrested-in-camaguey-14ymedio/

No comments: